If you spend much time on lifestyle blogs, there’s a good chance you’ve heard the phrases ‘30 before 30’, ’30 by 30’, or ‘30×30’ tossed around. A lot of under-30 lifestyle bloggers have joined this challenge in the past, and we’ve decided to join their ranks.
The basic premise of the challenge is to create a list of 30 things, big or small, that you’d like to accomplish before your 30th birthday, and then track your progress in meeting those goals. There are a lot of personal variations on how people fulfill this challenge, but the general concept is always the same: set goals, make them public, aim to achieve them, track your progress.
Because we’re setting a list of goals we want to accomplish together, rather than individually, setting the cut off as our 30th birthday doesn’t really work, as we’re almost a year apart and don’t share a birthday. Instead, this will be our list of 30 things to accomplish before we have a baby. While we don’t subscribe to the belief system that all adventure and fun ends when you have kids, we do know that certain goals we have would be more logistically challenging or impractical once kids enter the picture.
Here’s our list!
- Complete a half marathon
- Learn a new skill or hobby
- Take a class together
- Go to a financial planner and create a solid financial plan
- Get a will and power of attorney
- Start a charitable birthday tradition
- Start our own holiday traditions
- Complete the transition to a sustainable diet
- Get permanent jobs
- Go on a honeymoon
- Make an annual yearbook
- Finally learn to preserve food
- Go to California
- Go to South America
- Visit Chris’ relatives in the UK
- Pay off 3 out of 4 of our student loans (all 4 would be fantastic, but we’re being realistic)
- Start a monthly ritual with friends (themed dinner parties, monthly outings, something like that)
- Go to a music festival
- Adopt a dog
- Try WWOOFing
- Take up a new physical hobby
- Go on a winery tour
- See the Northern Lights
- Save 20% down + closing costs for our first house, and buy that house
- Accumulate $7500 in a baby savings account
- Go to an eccentric or obscure festival
- Go for a spa day at Le Nordik (or a similar place)
- Start a tradition of an annual girls weekend/guys weekend
- Go camping
- Stay out all night doing something awesome
We’ll keep you posted on our progress, and try to write a post about our experience whenever we manage to cross one of these things off our list. We’ll see how it goes!