I don’t know what the weather’s like where you are right now, but the weather out here is about as nasty as humanly possible. On top of 50km/h winds, it’s cold, raining, freezing rain, and snowing all at once. It literally looks like dirty slush is falling from the sky. Days like this call for warm blankets and major comfort food, so I suggest you try the following recipe. It’s not healthy, but it sure is delicious. If you feel like being virtuous, you can use low-fat cheeses, grill the chicken, and increase the spinach. I found the original recipe here: http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/White-Cheese-Chicken-Lasagna/Detail.aspx but modified it slightly. If you’re not into onion, feel free to skip that part.
White Cheese Chicken Lasagna
- 9 lasagna noodles
- 1/2 cup butter
- 1 onion, chopped
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 cups chicken broth
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 5 cups shredded mozzarella cheese, divided
- 1 cup grated Parmesan cheese, divided
- 1 teaspoon dried basil
- 1 teaspoon dried oregano
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 2 cups ricotta cheese
- 2 cups cubed, cooked chicken meat
- 1/2 cup spinach
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh parsley
- 1/4 cup grated Parmesan cheese for topping
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Bring a large pot of lightly salted water to a boil. Cook lasagna noodles in boiling water for 8 to 10 minutes. Drain, and rinse with cold water.
- Melt the butter in a large saucepan over medium heat. Cook the onion and garlic in the butter until tender, stirring frequently. Stir in the flour and salt, and simmer until bubbly. Mix in the broth and milk, and boil, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Stir in 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese. Season with the basil, oregano, and ground black pepper. Remove from heat, and set aside.
- Spread 1/3 of the sauce mixture in the bottom of a 9×13 inch baking dish. Layer with 1/3 of the noodles, the ricotta, and the chicken. Arrange 1/3 of the noodles over the chicken, and layer with 1/3 of the sauce mixture, spinach, and another 2 cups mozzarella cheese and 1/2 cup Parmesan cheese. Arrange remaining noodles over cheese, and spread remaining sauce evenly over noodles. Sprinkle with parsley, the remaining cup of mozzarella, and 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese.
- Bake 35 to 40 minutes in the preheated oven.